Thursday, February 5, 2009

Repair Your Foundation

I'm a firm believer that foundation matters most. When I look at crumbling marriages, often I see cracks in the foundation. Someone got caught up. They didn't dig deep enough to build a solid foundations. They didn't level the ground like they should have. They weren't careful when pouring the cement. So, the marriage is now in jeopardy because it got off on the wrong foot.

One great thing about marriage, unlike buildings, you can always go back and repair what has been damaged. If both parties are willing, there is no pain too great to heal, particularly if there is a faith relationship with God involved. Of course, I'm not talking about the hideous things that happen like rape, molestation or such. I'm talking about those everyday nagging pests that hinder you and your spouse from bonding and forming a real union.

In our book, Truth and Intimacy: A Couple's Journal, my husband and I explore the issues of going back to the beginning and starting over. It is possible, and can be a wonderful experience. If you're married, don't give up because you're tired, frustrated and angry. Fight harder and determine within yourself that your spouse and family are worth fighting for - even if you must fight yourself or by yourself for awhile.

No comments: